Raise your hand if you’ve ever found yourself wondering, “Why does this keep happening to me?” Whether it’s that reoccurring attraction to unhealthy partners; a mysterious and consistent string of unfortunate events; or the “I was just sick two weeks ago and now I’m sick again!” syndrome…these are all signs from the universe, GOD, higher power, mother earth energy (insert your preference) trying to alert your soul to a better way of living.
How do we listen though? How do we distinguish if we’re experiencing calls for a radical shift in our daily living or just experiencing a figment of our monkey mind wreaking unchecked havoc?
Here are five ways to know “Yes, sh*t is hitting the fan and it’s time to make a change”.
- Everyday is a struggle. The most important thing in your life is to be happy, healthy, and to experience the joys of life. When you find that getting through a day of work is like walking through quicksand…it may be time for a change.
- Your health starts to deteriorate. Experiencing consistent upper respiratory infections on the weekly? Getting back lab results that require you to call the doctor back? Sarah* (one of my client’s whose name has been changed due to confidentiality) stated that it felt like she could never fully recover from one illness to the next. Stress on the mind and body equals a suppressed immune system.
- People are worried about you. Are your close friends and loved ones expressing concerns about your current circumstances? This could be a sign to ask for their feedback if you haven’t quite figured out what’s causing your challenges.
- You tune into your heart and it says “no”. This is the toughest sign to listen to because of the high level of societal distractions we encounter on a daily basis. Put down the social media and tune in, listen to your body. Are you feeling as if you’re being physically pulled in another direction or even paralyzed? When Liz* was feeling unsettled about her employment in a high end, quick-paced, restaurant she recalls trying to get ready for her evening shift. “It was like my mind was telling my body to put on my make up, get dressed, and go through the motions. But I was paralyzed, I couldn’t get off the couch. I knew then that I had to make a decision”.
- The thought, “I can’t keep going on like this.” is becoming a recurring theme. Madison* noticed that after drinking and becoming overly intoxicated she would be filled with shame and guilt the next morning. “When I realized this was happening every single time I went to a fraternity party, I had to make the hard decision to change my life style and friend group”.
We can’t ignore these signs because our lives depend upon it. Speak with a trusted source or counselor about the different ways that you can improve upon your current stressors. You deserve it and you deserve to be happy.
If you’ve had an extraordinary sign that alerted you to a lifestyle change, I would love to hear about it in the comment section below.